Package Engineering ManagerJob ID 19-511
Location Stratham, New Hampshire
This individual is responsible for the overall management of the Packaging Engineering department in Stratham. This includes providing technical leadership, management, and supervision of department members as appropriate for all packaging projects. This person assumes overall responsibility for ensuring all packaging related projects are completed with a high standard of excellence and successful outcome relative to cost, schedule, and performance by applying the most suitable packaging technology.
Essential Job Functions & Responsibilities:
- Manage the planning and completion of all Package Engineering projects.
- Identify and implement process changes to drive continuous improvement within the department.
- Accountable for the short and long-term initiatives of the Package Engineering department.
- Develop and improve departmental procedures following ISO guidelines.
- Identify and lead the group's implementation of cost reduction opportunities in packaging materials and productivity improvements.
- Develop and implement functional packaging solutions to support the needs of Sales/Marketing, Operations, and Procurement.
- Provide technical guidance and direction to Packaging Engineers on assigned projects.
- Implement and manage resource planning and project management tools; monitor and evaluate project and department progress and results.
- Manage 50+ simultaneous packaging projects (ranging from major through moderate scope projects) from concept to implementation.
- Works and communicates collaboratively with customers and internal cross-functional teams to understand user packaging needs, define project scope, etc.
- Lead and participate in cross-functional teams evaluating and improving critical company processes (e.g., New Product Development process, New Co-packer start-up, Packaging Rationalization, Sustainability, etc.)
- Manage plant trials of new packaging materials and any associated automation equipment.
Technical Knowledge and Communication
- Serve as key packaging contact for Lindt (USA) management as well as the Packaging departments of Ghirardelli, Russell Stover, and other Lindt countries.
- Act as the lead technical advisor for all packaging issues while delegating follow-up to key staff members.
- Act as the lead packaging contact for vendor related quality issues.
- Direct the ideation and development of strategic packaging initiatives including material and vendor selection and standardization.
- Identify and lead innovation opportunities that improve Lindt's ability to introduce compelling products, decrease costs, improve consumer value, or create sustainable competitive advantages.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Minimum 5-8 years of experience in CPG company
- Minimum 3 years of team leadership required; Greater than 5 years of team leadership preferred
- New item development and commercialization experience preferred
Skills & Knowledge:
- High level of interpersonal skills with ability to manage others with technical backgrounds; train, mentor, and support department members
- Sound organizational and time management skills with the ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple responsibilities
- Strong Project Management skills
- Software proficiency: MS Office; competent user of AutoCAD, ArtiosCAD (or equivalent), CAPE (or equivalent), ESKO project management
- Functional knowledge of packaging operations, printing processes and knowledge of packaging converting technology
- In depth knowledge of performance testing and evaluation (ASTM and ISTA)
- BS Packaging Engineering required; Master's degree in related field preferred
- Minimal travel; less than 5%
- Minimal shift/weekend work; less than 5%
As a multi-channel, fast-growing consumer goods company, we recognize that in a competitive market, hiring the right talent makes all the difference. To create happy and loyal Lindt consumers, we need to hire and retain empowered and results-driven Lindt employees. Our teams are comprised of inspired and dedicated professionals who stretch the boundaries of a typical career experience by living our Core Values and making a difference in our business every day. To learn more about our culture and teams, visit www.Jobs.LindtUSA.com.
Our Core Values:
- Passion For The Best - At Lindt we have pride and passion for what we do -- we aspire for excellence in everything.
- In It Together - At Lindt we are one team with a shared purpose -- we invest in our relationships and value each other.
- Always Evolving - At Lindt we shape our future -- we take opportunities to improve, adapt to change and build on our strengths.
- Make An Impact - At Lindt we take responsibility for driving results -- we focus on what matters to deliver on our commitments.
This job description is not exhaustive and the Company reserves the right to adjust the job description as well as ask employees to undertake additional or different job responsibilities. Lindt and Sprüngli is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, veteran status, or any other classification protected by state, local or federal law. Applicants for this position must successfully pass a background screening and may be required to pass drug screenings as well. All Lindt & Sprüngli (USA) Inc. properties are smoke and tobacco free.