Category Manager - GroceryJob ID 20-485
Location Stratham, New Hampshire
The individual in this role will provide category analysis and business insights to US retailers in the areas of promotion, pricing, assortment, shelving and shopper insights to drive category growth and to help deliver against Lindt USA's business objectives. This includes developing and presenting compelling, insight based stories that support Lindt strategies and will make a direct impact in growing Lindt's everyday confection, front end, and seasonal businesses. This role requires strong analytical capabilities, problem solving skills and storytelling ability.
Essential Job Functions/Key Accountabilities
- Act as a consultant to assigned Lindt US retailers providing unbiased recommendations to drive overall category growth.
- Utilize space management software to analyze and validate retailer planograms and to develop strategic planogram recommendations to help the retailer maximize sales.
- Synthesize multiple data sources including POS, Panel, Shoppercard and Insights to craft compelling, concise and actionable selling stories. Contribute to or lead the creation of everyday line reviews, seasonal reviews and checklane reviews.
- Play a leadership role in conducting category management reviews, analyzing business issues, and providing business insights and recommendations in the areas of assortment, pricing, and promotion to improve business results.
- Attend customer meetings to present analysis, trend information and category opportunities. Attendance may be in conjunction with the account manager or one on one with the buyer.
- In collaboration with the Category team and specific Brand Managers, support and possibly lead the creation of seasonal and key inititiave selling presentations with contribution of insights and/or data analysis.
Sales & Marketing Support
- Influence the development of strategic sales and category action plans through the sharing of knowledge gained from customer specific shoppercard information. Help to establish priorities that are consistent with Lindt and key account goals and objectives, market share and overall category profitability.
- Provide sales managers with post event analytics and YOY implementation opportunities to drive the total confection category and Lindt brands in assigned accounts.
- Actively participate in weekly team calls or meetings with respective Sales managers and/or marketing.
Research and Analysis
- Serve as the expert on assigned accounts by fully understanding shopper motivations, triggers and barriers through available shopper card or panel information.
- Be the information expert in the analysis of syndicated data, shopper card data, household panel data, and customer point of sale data, leading to key insights and business recommendations in the areas of item distribution and assortment, pricing and promotion.
- Action Oriented -- Enjoys working hard; is action oriented and full of energy for things he/ she sees as challenging; not fearful of acting with a minimum of planning; seizes more opportunities than others.
- Perseverance -- Pursues everything with energy, drive and a need to finish; seldom gives up before finishing, especially in the face of resistance or setbacks.
- Intellectual Horsepower -- Is bright and intelligent; deals with concepts and complexity comfortably; described as intellectually sharp, capable and agile.
- Problem Solving -- Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn't stop at the first answers.
- Peer Relationships -- Can quickly find common ground and solve problems for the good of all; can represent his / her own interests and yet be fair to other groups; can solve problems with peers with a minimum of noise; is seen as a team player and is cooperative; easily gains trust and support of peers; encourages collaboration; can be candid with peers.
- Decision Quality -- Makes good decisions (without considering how much time it takes) based on a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience and judgement; most of his / her solutions and suggestions turn out to be correct and accurate when judged over time; sought out by others for advice and solutions.
- Interpersonal Savvy -- Relates well to all kinds of people -- up, down and sideways, inside and outside the organization; builds appropriate rapport; builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; can defuse even high-tension situations comfortably.
Skills & Knowledge
- Proficient computer skills; including extensive, advanced knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint.
- Strong analytical and reporting skills (Proficient in syndicated data IRI and/or Nielsen)
- Proficient in Category Management tools (eg JDA)
- Excellent written and oral communication.
- 3+ years Category Management and analytic experience required
- 3+ years experience mining data systems, such as:
- IRI, Nielsen Suite
- Info Retriever, Retail Link
- EYC, 84.51
- 3+ years experience with Planogram software (JDA, Apollo, Spaceman)
- CPG environment
- S. or B.A. degree
- Travel ~20% of time (highly seasonal)
It is impossible to list every requirement for, or responsibility of, any position. Similarly we cannot identify all the skills a position may require since job responsibilities and the Company's needs may change over time. Therefore, the above job description is not comprehensive or exhaustive. The Company reserves the right to adjust, add to or eliminate any aspect of the above description. The Company also retains the right to require all employees to undertake additional or different job responsibilities when necessary to meet business needs.
Lindt and Sprüngli is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status.
Applicants for this position must successfully pass a background screening and may be required to pass drug screenings as well.